Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Poem/rant... kind of stream of consciousness, mostly just weird... tell me what you think

This morning I slept until eleven o鈥檆lock at night


And then rolled out of bed to say the Pledge of Allegiance


Before ripping the flag off the pole and chucking it into the fireplace.


I sat in an armchair facing the sunrise,


Focusing the translucent rays onto the fabric with a magnifying glass


And wondering if I was fireproof,


But then I thought you might be angry at me for getting soot on the carpet.


I thought about asking you to help me sort through my jumbled neurons,


But then I forgot what day of the week it was and wandered off


Into caves of thought where I could hear my past echoing off the walls.


Drenched in lists of responsibilities and bogged down by laziness,


I copped a feebly rebellious attitude


And donned a fa莽ade of logic and persecution


So at least my reflection could override my conscience.


I wish I was eight years old.


I wish I was thirty-five.


I wish I was dead and I wish I鈥檇 never been born,


But I just can鈥檛 wait to grow up.


I wish I could get out of this locked phone booth


But the line is dead and my mother won鈥檛 stop eating the keys.


My only hope is to ride on the backs of my hallucinations


And fraternize with the people I call my friends


Because I don鈥檛 know their real names


And I can鈥檛 make out their faces through the clouds of smoky resentment


Or see over the brick wall held together by a sticky ego surrounding their souls.


Have you ever seen a soul?


Would you recognize one if it looked you in the eye,


Or spoke your name,


Or trampled over the silly notebooks


Filled with the incoherent ramblings of a twisted saint


That you keep buried in the bottom of your closet?


Would you even recognize the irony of one soul kicking another to death


If it wasn鈥檛 your own?


Or would you just continue to stare vacantly at the screen,


Chewing half-heartedly on a greasy triangle of pizza


And not wondering if the sun was ever going to rise again?


Poem/rant... kind of stream of consciousness, mostly just weird... tell me what you think
I actually really like it. The beginning just catches your attention and then you have to keep reading.





It's good.





If I had to describe it with one word, I would say it's very raw. It almost seems effortless.





[=

No comments:

Post a Comment